Why You Should Sell Online In Kenya
Ecommerce in Kenya has experienced significant growth and widespread acceptance among Kenyans. In this modern era, an increasing number of businesses are thriving purely online, making physical stores unnecessary.
The digital landscape presents a remarkable opportunity for business owners, regardless of their experience level, to effectively market and sell their products on the internet.
With the online platform, businesses can effortlessly reach customers without relying on costly traditional advertising and marketing methods. The internet has revolutionized the shopping habits of consumers, with a staggering 63% of purchases originating from online sources.
When Kenyan consumers seek to make a purchase, such as a washing machine, they typically begin their search online. This allows them to research and find products that align with their specific needs and budgetary considerations with ease. The online marketplace has undoubtedly transformed the way people shop, making it an essential channel for businesses to reach and connect with their target audience.
Once a potential customer decides to make a purchase, they typically turn to online search engines and social media platforms to explore various options available. With the convenience of online shopping, they no longer feel the need to physically visit a local store before making their purchase decision. As a result, businesses that offer their products for sale online have a greater chance of boosting sales.
If you’re interested in tapping into the online marketplace in Kenya, this comprehensive guide is here to help. It will provide valuable insights and strategies on how to effectively sell your products online, allowing you to reach a wider audience and thrive in the digital landscape.
1. Start by Calculating the Costs Involved
Selling online in Kenya involves various expenses that you must carefully evaluate. It is essential to thoroughly assess all these costs to determine if the venture will yield favorable profits after accounting for all expenditures. Making informed decisions about your online business expenses will be crucial to its overall success and sustainability.
Before embarking on selling online in Kenya, it is crucial to examine some significant costs associated with the venture.
- Product Sourcing Cost: Sourcing products entails financial investment. It involves finding reputable suppliers to purchase quality products at competitive prices. The process encompasses research, price and cost calculations, as well as negotiating with suppliers to secure favorable deals.
- Delivery Cost: Delivery costs can significantly impact customers’ purchasing decisions. High delivery charges may discourage potential buyers from making a purchase. It is essential to consider affordable and efficient delivery options to maintain customer satisfaction and encourage sales.
Hence, prior to commencing online sales, it is imperative to conduct a thorough evaluation of the delivery expenses, including courier service charges and potential unforeseen fees that might arise. Different destinations will incur varying costs, depending on factors such as distance and terrain.
- Packaging Cost: This encompasses expenses related to package structure, design, materials, and quantity required. Employing a design professional experienced in retail package design and product launch may be necessary to ensure an appealing and effective packaging solution.
Incurring expenses is inevitable, so it’s essential to assess the necessity of packaging and determine your budget beforehand. Keep in mind that investing in proper packaging will make a remarkable first impression, playing a pivotal role in attracting and retaining customers. Prioritizing this aspect can significantly contribute to the success and growth of your business.
- Transaction Cost: Operating an online business involves incurring transaction costs with each transaction made. These costs refer to the expenses associated with buying or selling goods and services. They encompass the labor involved in bringing a product or service to the market and facilitating exchanges. As transaction costs directly impact your profits, it is crucial to be vigilant. If transaction costs are too high, it can lead to losses, so careful consideration is essential.
- Storage Cost: As an online business owner, you will encounter storage costs related to holding or storing your inventory. When selecting a storage company, ensure that they can handle your specific type of goods. Some storage facilities cater to raw materials, finished products, or equipment parts. The cost of storing your inventory will depend on the nature of your goods and the storage company you choose.
- Marketing Cost: Marketing costs encompass all the expenses your business incurs to promote and sell its products, including brand development and promotional efforts. Your marketing budget will be influenced by factors such as advertising costs, revenue per customer, percentage of total revenue allocated to marketing, and your financial capacity to afford marketing expenses. Strategic management of marketing costs is essential for optimizing your business’s reach and impact in the market.
2. Find Out If It’s Profitable To Sell Online
Having a clear understanding of the various costs associated with online selling allows you to assess the profitability of your venture. To determine this, use a simple formula:
Profit Margin = Selling Price – (Sourcing Cost + Packing & Delivery Fee + Transaction Fees + Marketing Cost + Variable Costs)
If your profit margin yields a positive value, you can confidently proceed with starting your online sales. However, if the margin is extremely low or negative, it’s crucial to explore strategies to minimize costs and enhance the profitability of your online business. This calculation ensures a well-informed decision-making process for a successful and sustainable online selling journey.
3. Create a Catalogue of Your Products
A product catalog serves as a valuable marketing and sales tool, efficiently organizing all essential product information in a single location.
By utilizing a product catalog, you can categorize your products in a user-friendly manner, making it effortless for the reader to access information and make informed buying decisions based on the presented details.
A product catalog plays a pivotal role in aiding buyers’ decision-making process and streamlining their journey, resulting in an improved user experience.
To create an impactful product catalog, consider including the following essential details for each product:
- Short description
- Dimensions, such as size
- Care instructions
- Safety precautions
- Customer credentials, like reviews
- Price, including any discounts
- Call to action, such as ‘buy now’ or ‘book a demo call.’
Digital catalogs offer cost-effective solutions and easy distribution. Ensure your digital catalog comprises a front cover, table of contents, introduction, primary content pages, closing thoughts, and a cover.
An effective product catalog should showcase cohesive branding, professional photography, compelling storytelling or messaging, clear pricing, and prominent calls to action (CTAs). By incorporating these elements, you can create a captivating product catalog that engages customers and drives sales.
4. Be Discoverable Online
Establishing online visibility is a vital aspect of successful online selling. Without it, potential customers won’t be aware of your existence, hindering your chances of making sales. To thrive in the digital landscape, capturing the attention of the right audience is paramount. Ensuring that your business is easily discoverable by your target customers and clients is crucial for the success of your online venture.
Here’s how you get discoverable online…
To enhance your online discoverability swiftly, engaging actively on social media is one of the most effective methods. A significant number of individuals discover new brands through various social media channels. Moreover, they frequently seek recommendations for products and companies online. Hence, maintaining a robust presence on relevant social media platforms is essential to increase your visibility and connect with potential customers.
When selecting social media platforms, it’s unnecessary to sign up for all of them. Instead, focus on those that align with your target audience.
Opt for visual channels such as Instagram and Facebook if your products rely heavily on visuals to make an impact. On the other hand, if you provide a combination of products and services, consider platforms that are more text-focused to efficiently convey information and engage your audience. Tailoring your social media presence to suit your offerings ensures you can effectively connect with the right kind of audience for your business.
- Enhancing your online discoverability involves having an appealing website that captivates visitors. Your website should be intuitive, legible, and user-friendly, enabling seamless navigation. Present all essential information concisely, in an easily digestible format, avoiding lengthy blocks of text. By ensuring these features, your website becomes an effective tool for attracting and engaging potential customers, contributing to your business’s online success.
Make sure your website is user-friendly and fully compatible with smartphones, computers, and tablets. Regularly update it to provide fresh and relevant content to your audience. By maintaining a user-friendly, responsive, and up-to-date website, you enhance the overall user experience and keep visitors engaged and coming back for more.
- To elevate your brand to the top of search engine results, employ intent-based SEO strategies.
Utilize free online keyword research tools to identify the words and phrases frequently used by users seeking products and services similar to yours. By incorporating these relevant keywords into your website content and optimizing it for user intent, you can increase your online visibility and attract more potential customers to your brand.
Using specific and relevant keywords enhances the likelihood of attracting visitors who are more likely to make a purchase.
Incorporate the most popular keywords into your content to improve your website’s ranking when users search for those terms.
Regularly repeat the keyword research process to ensure your content stays up-to-date and remains optimized for maximum visibility and engagement.
- Utilizing Google My Business is another effective method to enhance your business’s online discoverability.
By creating an account and managing your search engine listing, you can control the information visible to the public. Ensure to include essential details such as your location, contact information, captivating images, compelling descriptions, upcoming events, and star ratings on your Google My Business account. By optimizing your profile, you increase your chances of appearing prominently in local search results, enabling potential customers to find and engage with your business more easily.
Engaging with your previous customers and requesting positive reviews on your website can significantly impact your online presence.
Research has demonstrated that 88% of consumers place high trust in online reviews, similar to personal recommendations. By encouraging satisfied customers to share their positive experiences, you build credibility and trust, which can lead to increased customer confidence and attract new potential clients to your business.
5. Products to Sell Online In Kenya
The e-commerce industry in Kenya is experiencing rapid growth, showing no indications of slowing down.
The key to thriving in this dynamic landscape is to carefully choose a niche and concentrate your efforts on it. By doing so, you have the potential to achieve significant success.
Your choice of products for online selling plays a pivotal role in determining your accomplishments in the digital realm. You have the option to sell either digital products or physical products, and this decision will impact your online journey and potential for prosperity.
A digital product is an intangible asset or piece of media that can be sold and distributed repeatedly online without replenishing inventory.
Selling digital products is uniquely attractive to entrepreneurs because of its low-cost overhead costs, high-profit margins, the potential to automate, and the flexibility of the products.
It’s essential to be mindful that you’ll be contending with freely available content on the internet. Therefore, to stand out, it’s crucial to create unique and high-quality products. Here are some digital products that you can consider selling:
- Online courses
- Web-based applications
- Educational downloads
Educational downloads are digital products that provide valuable information or teach your audience something beneficial. It’s recommended to focus on selling educational content related to topics you are knowledgeable about. For instance, if you possess expertise in a particular area, consider creating and selling an eBook.
Ebooks offer ease of consumption and can serve as effective lead generation tools. You may choose to distribute the eBook for free in exchange for website visitors’ email addresses. Additionally, eBooks play a significant role in building credibility, further establishing your authority in your field.
6. Sourcing Products to Sell Online In Kenya
Sourcing involves the identification of suitable suppliers, encompassing manufacturers, importers, or distributors. The primary focus is on obtaining favorable pricing and delivery terms.
By selecting the right supplier, you guarantee the convenient acquisition of the correct products within the desired timeframe. An ideal supplier is both dependable and cost-effective. Ideally, your chosen wholesaler should be capable of providing most, if not all, of the goods you require.
To optimize the sourcing process, it’s essential to strike a balance between efforts invested in finding the right sources, negotiating competitive prices, and the actual pricing of the products.
For significant purchases, conducting a comprehensive search is advisable. In particular, when dealing with foreign suppliers, it might be wise to enlist the services of a sourcing professional.
Before placing orders for intricate products or large quantities, it’s crucial to verify the authenticity of your source. If you cannot personally visit the supplier, send a trusted representative who is familiar with the local language and acquainted with the local situation.
Products can be sourced from either local or international wholesalers.
An excellent local wholesaler should have the capacity to provide the products you require, offer affordable prices, and cater to your geographical area. Moreover, they should exhibit reliability, trustworthiness, and a cooperative approach to working together. When dealing with branded items, consider approaching the manufacturer directly, as they may sell to you based on their minimum order requirements. Alternatively, utilize their established distribution channels. To identify a reliable local wholesaler, assess their business longevity, reviews, reputation, and ensure their minimum order quantity aligns with your needs.
Here are some of the most popular local wholesalers:
- Mega Wholesalers Limited: Mega Wholesalers Ltd is a prominent distributor of consumer goods headquartered in Eastleigh, Nairobi. Established in 2001, the company has earned a strong reputation and become a household name in various regions. They serve as a major distributor and seller of a wide range of consumer goods.
- Mahitaji Enterprises Limited: Mahitaji Enterprises Limited offers a diverse selection of products at affordable prices, catering to a wide range of customers. Their product range includes home use items and various foodstuffs. Additionally, they provide free deliveries to their valued customers.
- Alpha Fine Foods Limited: Alpha Fine Foods Limited specializes in premium Kenyan Highland Lamb and Beef, Poultry, Norwegian/Scottish smoked and fresh Salmon, a variety of marine and lake products, frozen breaded products, and more.
- PetStore Kenya: PetStore Kenya is a preferred wholesaler for those involved in the pet trade. They were established to address a common issue in pet-friendly households in Kenya, making the process of buying cat food and dog food easy and seamless.
- Vine Fresh (East Africa) Limited: Vine Fresh (East Africa) Ltd stands as Kenya’s leading importer, exporter, and distributor of fresh fruits & vegetables, with their base of operations in Nairobi. They supply major supermarkets, hotels, restaurants, cafeterias, and groceries across Kenya. Their collaboration with traders from Uganda, Tanzania, and South Sudan facilitates the distribution of Kenyan products, promoting regional growth and distribution.
International sourcing involves procuring materials, products, or services from manufacturers or suppliers located outside of one’s home country. While domestic sourcing offers advantages like quicker logistics, better production control, and a shorter time to market, sourcing overseas is generally considered more cost-effective. The primary benefit of global sourcing is the potential for cost savings, as many foreign suppliers and manufacturers offer competitive prices, particularly in low-cost regions.
Lower manufacturing costs often result in businesses being able to purchase goods at a reduced unit price, benefiting those with tight budgets seeking to maximize their bottom line. However, it’s essential to consider other factors that may impact cost-savings, such as expensive international administration or communication, transportation costs, or duty rates.
A notable international supplier for sourcing is Alibaba. Alibaba boasts the largest collection of manufacturers and suppliers globally, making it a preferred choice for the majority of sellers seeking product sourcing. As one of the world’s largest retailers and e-commerce companies, Alibaba offers millions of products.
To begin sourcing from Alibaba, create an account and provide all necessary details. Use the search icon to find the products you wish to order, and apply filters to refine your search by supplier type, product type, minimum order quantity, or supplier region. Compare different sellers to find the most suitable match for your requirements, negotiate deals, and once satisfied, proceed to place your order.
7. Storage Options for Your Online Stock
When operating an online business, the absence of a physical store necessitates understanding various inventory storage options. Before finalizing your storage choices, it is essential to establish a robust inventory management system.
A reliable inventory management system enables you to monitor stock levels, track ordering information, and more. Implementing inventory management software allows you to input all product-related data into your computer system. This, in turn, facilitates automatic updates to your inventory, enables you to keep tabs on minimum and maximum stock levels, and provides insights into restocking timelines.
Dropshipping is a business model in which the retailer does not hold any inventory. Instead, the suppliers maintain control of the stock, and when a product is sold, the supplier directly ships it to the customer. This arrangement offers cost-saving benefits as there is no need to purchase items upfront or store them.
However, dropshipping requires a highly organized and sophisticated inventory system. Since the retailer lacks direct control over inventory, constant communication with suppliers is necessary to keep track of their current stock levels. This ensures that the retailer does not unintentionally sell items to customers that are no longer available from the supplier. Effective communication and coordination are crucial for successful dropshipping operations.
Utilizing a warehouse for inventory storage presents another viable option for online stores, particularly those dealing with large volumes of goods or bulky items such as furniture or machines.
In this approach, you lease space in a warehouse, where you can store your inventory and subsequently ship items to customers upon purchase. Effective organization of the inventory is crucial, and your staff will need to maintain its orderliness. Implementing a barcode system can help keep track of all the items in the warehouse efficiently.
For larger online stores, the warehouse system tends to be more efficient than drop shipping. Having complete control over the inventory and order fulfillment process contributes to smoother operations, especially when dealing with substantial sales volumes.
Smaller companies can also benefit from warehouse storage, but it’s essential to carefully assess whether the cost of storage and pre-purchasing stock aligns with the company’s overall benefits and financial viability. Weighing the pros and cons will help determine whether warehousing is the right solution for a specific online business.
- Shelf space rentals
Shelf space rentals are a unique business model offered by Rent-A-Shelf shops, which identifies prime locations in urban centers and converts them into partitioned shelves. These shelves are then made available for rent to online businesses without the need for them to own an entire shop. By renting a small physical space, businesses can showcase their products to customers who prefer to see items in person before making a purchase.
This approach proves cost-effective since it eliminates the high expenses associated with renting a full office space. Companies like Notify logistics and Bodacorp are among the providers of shelf space rentals.
One of the key advantages of shelf space rentals is their affordability, and the convenience of not requiring businesses to hire shop attendants. The rental shops already have qualified staff who manage the premises on behalf of the businesses. Moreover, businesses can form partnerships with delivery services, allowing them to deliver goods directly to their customers from the shelf space rental, streamlining the order fulfillment process.
8. Where to Sell Online In Kenya
As you prepare to embark on your online selling journey, a crucial decision lies ahead: choosing between selling on established eCommerce marketplaces like Jumia or Skygarden, or setting up your own web store. In Kenya, the world of online selling offers a wide array of possibilities, and sellers are fortunate to have a myriad of options that have rivalled the success of traditional physical stores.
Selling on Marketplaces
Selling your online goods on marketplaces provides a straightforward way to get started. In Kenya, there are numerous marketplaces available, each with its unique characteristics that can contribute to successful selling. To optimize your sales, consider choosing niche-based marketplaces over generalized ones.
For instance, if you specialize in selling cars, focusing on marketplaces dedicated exclusively to automotive sales, such as cheki.com, will likely yield better results and increase your sales.
Here are some of the marketplaces you can explore:
- Jumia Online Shop
- Sky Garden
By selecting the most suitable marketplaces for your niche, you can maximize your online selling potential and reach a targeted audience interested in your specific products.
The advantages of joining a marketplace can vary depending on the industry, business, and whether you are a buyer or seller. Here are some key benefits summarized:
General business benefits:
- Enhanced Trading Partnerships: Marketplaces offer greater opportunities for suppliers and buyers to establish new and valuable trading relationships.
- Transparent Purchasing Process: Marketplaces provide transparency by making availability, prices, and stock levels accessible in an open environment, simplifying the purchasing process.
- 24/7 Operations: Unlike physical businesses with time constraints, online marketplaces enable round-the-clock operations, eliminating issues with different office hours.
Benefits for the buyer:
- Updated Information: Buyers can access real-time price and availability information, making it easier to secure the best deals.
- Efficient Comparison: Marketplaces offer a convenient way to compare prices and products from multiple suppliers in one place, saving time and effort.
- Trusted Suppliers: Established marketplaces build trust for buyers as they exclusively deal with reputable member suppliers.
Benefits for the seller:
- Increased Requests for Quotations: Sellers can receive regular requests for quotations from both existing and potential customers.
- Enhanced Visibility: Utilizing keyword searches on a marketplace site allows sellers to display their goods alongside other brands and distributors, increasing exposure.
- Additional Sales Channel: Marketplaces provide sellers with an extra avenue to market and sell their products.
- Reduced Marketing Costs: Compared to other sales channels, marketplaces can offer cost-effective marketing solutions.
- Global Opportunities: Joining international e-marketplaces opens up possibilities for overseas sales that sellers may not be aware of otherwise.
Despite the significant advantages, selling on marketplaces also comes with certain drawbacks that should be considered:
- Commission and Fees: Marketplaces often charge commissions on each sale, and fee structures can vary between different sites. Sellers need to understand and factor in these costs to avoid surprises.
- Restrictive Communication: Online stores may impose limitations on how sellers can communicate with customers, including stringent standards for product advertising that can impact sales fees and profit margins.
- Branding Limitations: Some marketplaces may restrict how sellers can brand their online presence, leading to a high percentage of users being unaware of the actual company behind the product.
Selling on Your Own Web store
Investing in a website can be a highly beneficial move for any business, providing a multitude of advantages. Building your own website offers flexibility, enabling you to showcase a diverse range of products, deliver valuable information through useful content, and employ various marketing channels.
- Personalized Shopping Experience: Having a branded website allows you to create a personalized shopping experience for each customer, using specific keyword-based landing pages to target their preferences and showcase relevant products and services.
- Increased Discoverability: An optimized web store ensures proper indexing in search engines, making it easier for potential buyers to find your products online and controlling where they land upon clicking search results.
- New Product Promotion: Your web store serves as a platform not only for selling but also for announcing and promoting new products to your audience.
- Personalized Packaging: With full control over your brand’s expression on the website, you can also customize packaging and delivery. Delivering products in branded boxes and envelopes allows for personalized promotions and discounts.
- Website Costs: Establishing, designing, hosting, securing, and maintaining a professional e-commerce website can be costly, especially for businesses anticipating significant sales growth.
- Security and Fraud: The online retail market’s growth has attracted sophisticated criminal elements, making it crucial to invest in the latest security systems to protect your website and transaction processes to safeguard your business’s reputation.
- Legal Issues: Navigating e-commerce and legal requirements can be challenging, requiring awareness and preparedness to handle additional customer rights associated with online sales.
- Advertising Costs: Effective online marketing demands a substantial budget, especially in competitive sectors or for popular keywords.
- Customer Trust: Building a trusted brand name online can be challenging, particularly without a physical business with a proven track record and face-to-face interactions. Establishing a reliable customer service system is crucial to building trust with online customers.
- Website Crashes: A significant drawback of a web store is the potential loss of sales when the site crashes. Ensuring your website is hosted on a reliable platform is essential to mitigate this risk.
9. Market Your Products Online
Marketing plays a crucial role in every business, regardless of whether it operates as an online store or a physical establishment.
Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are integral components of any comprehensive marketing campaign. These platforms offer cost-effective solutions, with both free and paid advertising options available. Among them, Facebook Ads stand out as particularly effective for promoting online products due to their popularity and extensive reach.
Facebook holds a significant market share of close to 20% in digital advertising, positioning itself as one of the leading advertising options, second only to Google.
Advertising on Facebook offers numerous advantages, but it’s crucial to comprehend the platform’s offerings and its diverse paid ad network, which provides a range of advertising options to effectively reach new audiences. Utilizing Facebook Ads proves to be cost-effective, efficient, and rapid in achieving desired results.
To embark on a successful Facebook advertising campaign, follow these five steps:
- Choose a Goal: Define the objective of your ad, such as increasing messages, website visitors, product sales, customer contacts, etc.
- Add Creative Elements: Create visually engaging ads with eye-catching visuals, compelling text, and an effective call-to-action button. Use captivating photos or attention-grabbing videos that highlight your business or products, and ensure that the text complements the imagery, encouraging customers to take the desired action.
- Define Your Audience: Carefully consider the type of people who are drawn to your products or services. Identify common characteristics among them to target your ads effectively.
- Set Budget and Audience: Determine your daily ad spend and the duration of your ad campaign. The daily budget represents the average amount you plan to invest in the ad each day.
- Choose Ad Placement: Decide where you want your ads to appear, whether it’s on Facebook or Instagram, or both.
To achieve success with Facebook Ads, consider these tips:
- Test Different Audiences: Create both narrow and broad audience groups to observe how each one affects your ad performance. Continuously adjust and refine your targeting based on the results.
- Keep Ads Simple: Design ads with simplicity in mind to ensure they are easily understandable for your customers.
- Experiment with Creativity: Try out different creative elements to determine what resonates best with your audience and drives better engagement.
Initiating a Google AdWords campaign proves to be a potent method for directing traffic from search engines to your website. With Google Ads, businesses have the opportunity to pay and elevate the visibility of their website. Depending on their bid for relevant keywords, quality score, and other factors, websites can secure placements in diverse Google search results.
Google Ads offer exceptional targeting capabilities, an extensive reach, and the ability to tap into user intent. With complete control over your campaigns and the flexibility to allocate any budget, Google Ads can deliver faster results compared to SEO and drive higher conversion rates.
To get started with Google Ads, simply sign up to create an account. Once on the dashboard, select “Campaign” and create the specific campaign you desire to run, following the provided instructions.
10. Dealing with Online Customers
In the realm of online business, customer service acts as the lifeblood that sustains your success. Achieving remarkable online customer service involves a primary focus on promptly addressing customer concerns while consistently surpassing their expectations through the adept use of appropriate tools and processes.
Here are some valuable tips to effectively handle online customers:
- Consider Outsourcing: Customer service requires individuals with a genuine affinity for people and exceptional patience. If you lack these qualities while managing customer service for your small business, it is wise to contemplate outsourcing this aspect. Seek someone who possesses the required skills to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Acknowledge and Solve Customer Problems: Customers seek acknowledgment and viable solutions from your company when facing issues. By delivering what they initially anticipated, you let them know you genuinely understand their concerns and are committed to finding a resolution.
- Embrace Efficient Communication Tools: Modernize your customer service approach by embracing communication tools such as WhatsApp for Business, Live Chat, and Video Chat. These platforms enable you to provide excellent online customer service by showcasing your products through direct video chat. Customers can witness the product’s usage in real-time, enhancing engagement and trust during transactions.
- Enhance online support for the website by implementing self-service options – an essential element for delivering a positive customer experience. Common self-service features include FAQs, how-to videos, a comprehensive knowledge base, and interactive online discussion forums.
- Stay focused and attentive – When responding to customer inquiries or questions about specific products, ensure that your answers remain on-point without veering off-topic. Straying from their concerns may portray a lack of understanding and attentiveness on your part. Provide precise and relevant information to meet the customer’s needs accurately.
By incorporating these strategies, your online customer service will flourish, ultimately leading to greater customer satisfaction and the continued success of your business.
11. How to Pack Online Orders
The true fulfillment of an online transaction occurs solely when the delivery arrives safely at the customer’s doorstep. No matter how well-designed the website is, how creative the marketing strategies are, or how friendly the personnel may be, all these efforts become insignificant to the customer if their order arrives damaged and broken.
The way you pack orders significantly impacts your customers’ buying experience. It’s crucial to select packaging materials wisely to ensure that items are well-protected and not easily torn or damaged during transit.
For many online stores, a single, high-quality corrugated box surrounded by filler will suffice for packing non-fragile e-commerce orders. This approach is the most common and effective for such items.
However, if you deal with high-value or fragile products, considering double-boxing your shipments is advisable. While this adds both weight and dimensional weight, it provides an extra layer of protection during shipping.
It’s important to acknowledge that double-boxing may incur higher shipping and packing material costs. Nevertheless, prioritizing the safety of the items and ensuring customer satisfaction outweighs the additional expenses, making it a prudent choice.
Use Branded Packaging to Make a Lasting Impression
In a competitive market, branded packaging serves as a unique selling point, effectively setting your product apart in the increasingly crowded online space. It plays a vital role in reinforcing your brand’s identity and narrating its story. By delivering items in branded packaging, you extend your brand’s presence from the digital realm to the tangible experience customers have when they receive your product.
Embracing branded packaging can also contribute to your online marketing strategy. A delightful unboxing experience is more likely to prompt customers to share videos and photos of their purchase, tagging your brand in the process. This creates a special and memorable customer experience, fostering positive word-of-mouth and brand loyalty.
In Kenya, various outlets, such as Ecobag Suppliers Kenya, Gift Bags Kenya, Tropical Brands, and Paper Bags Limited, offer options to get your packaging bags and materials branded to your specifications.
Don’t forget the power of a simple thank-you note. Including a genuine expression of gratitude can make customers feel appreciated and motivated to make future purchases. This thoughtful gesture has been proven to increase order sizes, generate word-of-mouth referrals, and enhance customer loyalty, leading to greater success for your brand.
12. How to Deliver Online Orders
When it comes to delivering online orders, meeting customer expectations is crucial for ensuring satisfaction. Follow these steps to effectively deliver online orders:
- Process Orders Individually: Process orders at the item level, ensuring that each item in the order is clearly identified. This helps in accurate packaging and avoids confusion during delivery.
- Track Order Status: Keep a close track of the order status so that you can promptly respond to any customer queries or concerns about their delivery.
- Ensure Perfect Condition: Take extra care to ensure that products are in perfect condition before packaging and shipping. Use appropriate packaging materials to protect items during transit.
- Timely Delivery: Strive to deliver orders on time as promised during the checkout process. If there are any delays, keep customers informed about the new delivery dates.
- Partner with Delivery Companies: To streamline the delivery process, partner with reliable delivery companies in your region. In Kenya, consider collaborating with reputable services like Bodacorp, Sendy, and Glovo.
By implementing these practices, you can enhance the overall customer experience and build trust and loyalty with your online shoppers. Remember that timely and well-handled deliveries play a significant role in customer satisfaction and repeat business.